Google Analytics Tracking Code

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Little Girls Summer Dress

Hello! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! I just wanted to share my latest project. Let me just start by saying that I am not a seamstress. I took sewing in high school and loved it, but other than that I really have no idea what I'm doing and I just do it as I go and try to teach myself how to sew. Please please please share any advise that you have! I hope this makes sense. I'm a beginning sewer so if you have any questions please let me know. Here it goes! Enjoy!



  1. Take measurements for the dress. For my daughter (3 yrs old) Chest: 20 in. Length (armpit to just below knee): 21 in - total length of dress
  2. Green fabric measurements (base fabric of dress) 20 in x 42 in (chest measurement doubled so it gathers when you thread the elastic through)
  3. Brown polka dot fabric (bottom hem of dress) measurements 8 in x 42 in
  4. Fold brown fabric in half length wise and iron (I like to iron so it has a nice crease)


5. Fold green fabric 3 in over on top (it would now measure 17in x 42in). Pin and iron. This will be the top of the dress. Now would also be the time to attach the ribbon (4 pieces 20 in long) for the straps. I forgot to do this step and you don't want to do it the way I did. :)


6. Lay green fabric facing right side up. Lay brown fabric on top of the bottom of the green fabric (folded edge of brown fabric toward the top of the dress) and pin the edges together.


This is the full view. Green fabric is facing right side up. The top is folded under 3in and pinned (top of dress). The bottom has the folded brown fabric on top (fold facing toward the top) and edges pinned together.

7. Straight stitch the brown and green edges together (I went in about 1/4in)


Left side: inside of dress. Right side: out side of dress.


8. Now the brown folded edge will hang down being the bottom of the dress. Run another straight stitch over the seam you just did. This will keep it from moving around.

Sorry this picture is blurry! Left side: inside of dress. Right side: out side of dress.

9. Straight stitch the top folded portion of the green fabric. Then 1 1/2 in down from top of folded edge. Straight stitch entire length. Now you will have a pocket to insert the elastic.
10. Fold dress in half so raw green edges are together and pin. Straight stitch entire length (except for the little pocket you made for the elastic)
11. Insert elastic using a safety pin.



12. Sew the elastic edges together. Sew the pocket edges together so you can't see the elastic.
13. Attach buttons to front and you're done!


8 comments:

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy said...

This is so adorable! I would love it if you would link up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/06/tuesday-confessional-link-party.html. I hope to see you soon!
~Macy

Amy said...

You did awesome as a beginner sewer like you say. they turned out very well and looked cute on your girls Sunday.

Ashley said...

i wouldnt believe your a beginner from this! it totally rocks:) i would love for you to share it at my link party goin on now.
thanks
xo
ash

~jan said...

So cute! And...easy enough for me to tackle! I love your color choices.

~jan at thepaisleycupcake@blogspot.com

Snips & Spice said...

This is so cute! I love it! I am your newest follower, and I would love if you would stop by and check out my site.

http://snips-and-spice.blogspot.com/

Jenny said...

I was wondering if you had made the dresses! They were so cute on Sunday! I may need to be a little more ambitious and try to make one for Hannah! So cute.

Tabatha said...

This is very cute!! My daughter's birthday is next week and she's having a Tinker Bell party. I just happen to have some Tinker Bell fabric so I'm going to use your post and make her a dress for her party! Thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

Great tutorial, very easy. i will make it for my kids. thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...