Here's what you will need:
2 yards of fabric (If you want different fabric on each side then you'll use a yard of two coordinating fabrics)
Sewing machine and matching thread
velcro for straps
embellishments for straps. I made flower rosettes with a jewel in the middle.
- Lay fabric right sides facing together. Cut four 3 inch x 8 inch strips off an edge to use for the straps.
- Round the corners of your fabric. I used a plate to trace the edges and then cut.
- Straight stitch right sides together leaving about 4 inches to turn it right side out.
- Straight stitch the 4 inch opening closed.
- Iron all edges flat.
- Choose a decorative stitch and go all the way around canopy. I used a zigzag stitch and with white thread.
- Repeat steps 3-6 for the straps. (I left one edge open to turn it right side out.)
- Fold canopy in half horizontally. Pin straps on the fold, in the middle and equally spaced apart.
- Sew straps on using a straight stitch. I did a 2 inch square to make sure it was securely fastened.
- Hot glue on velcro and embellishments
What do you think? I love the simplicity of it. Sometimes a little pop of color is all you need! Enjoy!