Google Analytics Tracking Code

Monday, November 7, 2011

Infant Carrier Canopy

You know how I said I was working on a few projects for my sister-in-laws baby shower that was last Saturday? Well I refinished a crib for her and will hopefully get a picture of it once they get it all set up. I also made her a infant carrier canopy. This is a really easy and cute project and you can get creative with it.

Here's what you will need:
2 yards of fabric (If you want different fabric on each side then you'll use a yard of two coordinating fabrics)
Sewing machine and matching thread
Hot glue
velcro for straps
embellishments for straps. I made flower rosettes with a jewel in the middle.
  1. Lay fabric right sides facing together. Cut four 3 inch x 8 inch strips off an edge to use for the straps.
  2. Round the corners of your fabric. I used a plate to trace the edges and then cut.
  3. Straight stitch right sides together leaving about 4 inches to turn it right side out.
  4. Straight stitch the 4 inch opening closed.
  5. Iron all edges flat.
  6. Choose a decorative stitch and go all the way around canopy. I used a zigzag stitch and with white thread.
  7. Repeat steps 3-6 for the straps. (I left one edge open to turn it right side out.)
  8. Fold canopy in half horizontally. Pin straps on the fold, in the middle and equally spaced apart.
  9. Sew straps on using a straight stitch. I did a 2 inch square to make sure it was securely fastened.
  10. Hot glue on velcro and embellishments


What do you think? I love the simplicity of it. Sometimes a little pop of color is all you need! Enjoy!

13 comments:

The Rosenau's said...

I love the hot pink flowers! did you make them? They give the perfect touch!!

Julianne
www.sewfantastic.blogspot.com

Kirsten Harr said...

Great idea! One of my sisters is expecting in the next couple of week...I think she could use one of these.

Brittany @ My Decoupaged Life said...

Great tutorial! Sometimes people make their tutorials for these so complicated so I'm glad to find an easy one! Thanks! Also I shared this on my Facebook page!

Nikki Monet said...

I love the fabric and the flower embellishments! This is really cute :) Would love it if you would stop by and share this at my linky party :) http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/bedazzle-me-monday-7_6572.html

Also, PRETTY PLEASE stop by and check out Random Act of Kindness Week going on all next week!! Would love to see you participate!!
http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/kindness-and-thanksgiving.html

Have a great week!!

Jennifer said...

This is so pretty and elegant! I am going to pin it for a possible baby shower gift :)

Jillian@FoodFolksandFun said...

This looks SO awesome and such a great tutorial! I found you via “Lil’ Luna Link Party”. I’m your newest follower and would love a “follow back”!

Have a great week,

Jillian @ www.foodfolksandfun.blogspot.com

Tenille said...

I love everything about this car seat cover. The embellishments just take it from cute to absolutely adorable. I would love it if you would link this up to our linky party going on right now.

http://junkintheirtrunk.blogspot.com/2011/11/link-it-up-wednesday_08.html

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

How nice- alot classier than a regular blanket. Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!


Melanie
Sew Rugged @ bear rabbit bear
bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

Justine of SewCountryChick said...

I wish I had found you when my two year old needed this! It's such a pretty cover. I have a little sewing and fabric craft linky party I'm starting tomorrow and I was wondering if you could be so kind to stop by and post it? Thanks so much!
Sew Country Chick

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tutorial on how to make these. I need to make one this weekend for my baby who arrives next week. Nothing like waiting until the last minute.

Jami said...

That is the cutest canopy I've ever seen! Great job! Thanks for sharing your talents at the Tuesday To Do Party!
Smiles!
Jami
www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

Simply Tasheena said...

Wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing

~Mrs. Delightful
ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Brittany @ My Decoupaged Life said...

Ok I know I already commented, but I just wanted to let you know that I featured this on my Show Off Saturday
http://www.mydecoupagedlife.com/2012/01/show-off-saturday-baby-projects.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...