Google Analytics Tracking Code

Monday, September 19, 2011

Crochet Along and a little about my Grandma

Crocheting reminds me of my grandma. She was amazing at it and I'm so glad today that I can say I learned to crochet from her when I was an older child. I remember sitting with her and her teaching me how to chain, single, half double and double crochet. She gave me a skein of yarn and I set off to make a blanket....it never turned out and ended up having a slanted edge so I gave up. I've only ever crocheted straight double crochet scarves. A few months ago I made a couple crochet flowers and hearts, but that's about it. Well I came across a fun Crochet Along on one of my new favorite blogs Maybe Matilda so I decided to join in! She has walked through each type of stitch with pictures and it's so easy to understand. You should join in to! We're making a cowl...perfect for winter! I chose a darling yellow...I've been so into yellow lately!  We started the pattern today and I'm so excited about my new cowl and can't wait to finish it. The best part...the entire time I'm crocheting I'm thinking about my amazing grandma! She was a do it yourself kind of lady and did what she needed to do to get things done. Even in her seventies you'd find her chopping her own firewood, mowing the lawn, canning food to fill an entire storage room, quilting and crocheting. One of my favorite gifts that I received from her was an 8x10 frame with a small picture of my grandma and grandpa in it and cutouts of things that reminded her of me and a handwritten note on the back. The frame was wrapped up in a quilt that she'd made me. There's nothing like being wrapped up in one of her quilts! At the time she taught me to crochet I didn't realize what a big impact this would have on my life and grateful I would be that I took the opportunity to learn from her. It really is the simple things and spending time together that is remembered the most. Miss her so much and can't wait to see her again! I hope I don't take advantage of what I can learn from those closest to me and pass it along to my family. I hope you'll do the same! Enjoy!

1 comment:

jeri said...

I am glad you have fond memories of mom. I miss her also and wish everday that I asked more questions. She definitely was a talented person in so many ways. And so are you! Greatful to call you daughter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...